We at Smiles by Dr. Santos LLC, are huge fans of technology. Dental technology has advanced by leaps and bounds during the past few decades, and today, a number of methods are available to make cleaning and medical procedures faster and safer. One of those is laser dentistry, and we’re happy to offer it to our patients.
Laser dentistry has been in use since the 1990’s, and in the hands of a skilled practitioner, it’s as safe as other instruments, if not more so. A laser is designed to emit a beam of light that’s very narrow and intense.
Lasers are used in dentistry to:
- Reduce pain created by cold and canker sores, giving you a painless dentistry experience
- Expose wisdom teeth that have erupted partially
- Remove muscle attachments that can hinder regular movement
- Manage gum tissue and bone tissue while performing procedures like crowns
- Remove tissue that’s become overgrown due to medication side effects
- Removal of diseased and inflamed gum tissue
- Treatment for infections in root canals
- Boost the speed of tooth whitening
There are a number of benefits to laser dentistry. It’s more precise, and in some cases, it removes the need for a drill or anesthesia entirely. Lasers can also control bleeding that occurs during surgery, reduce recovery times, side effects, and the number of bacteria that accumulates in cavities and diseased gum tissue.
Laser dentistry is also very safe! The only difference is that your dentist will ask you to wear special glasses to protect your eyes from the light emitted from the laser. Lasers are also frequently used alongside other dental instruments.
If you have questions, or you’re ready to make an appointment, contact our cosmetic dental clinic today!